Wednesday 12 August 2015

Blog No.1 – LBC15 @ The Cock Tavern

Tuesday 11th August  5.30pm, I arrived at the Cock Tavern in Hackney to be greeted by my good friends – Steve (one half of The Beer O’clock Show podcast) and Clayton (otherwise known as King of The BBQs).
On the blackboard was our reason for being there – Magic Rock High Wire on cask in 8 different formats (each using a different hop).

I had been looking forward to this for quite some time, plus, as it was going to be my only midweek LBC15 event, I was rather excited by my first visit to The Cock Tavern to try the different versions of a beer I hold in high regard.

So, what better way to kick off then with the specially brewed London Beer City beer, courtesy of Four Pure – London Beer City Summer Ale, looking at my notes on Untappd “Bitter, astringent, refreshing….nice” that pretty much sums it up, a very good opening beer, perfect for the summer months (even if the weather was not playing ball on Tuesday).

Next up was a brown beer from Howling Hops – the American Brown Ale simply titled Running Beer (although as a runner it wouldn’t normally be my automatic hydration aid!). A solid beer that tastes “brown” and provided a platform for the golden beers that were about to come my way.
In fact Steve couldn’t wait any longer and was already at the bar ordering version no.1 of High Wire.
At this point I should let you know that Magic Rock handily numbered each different version 1 – 8, the different hops used, were as follows:
Amarillo
Chinook
Hersbrucker
Pacific Gem
Pacific Jade
Lemon Drop
Simcoe
Southern Cross

All three of us are Magic Rock fans (Steve is No.1 FAN), and, we all like a pint of High Wire, although I have always preferred the keg version, so it was with happy smiley faces that we began……..

And, it began rather well, the Amarillo was a nice gentle slightly fruity start to the proceedings, expectation had risen slightly, but, however, this was the high point. My feeling, and i was not alone in this, was that there really was not enough of a difference between each of the beers and for me none of the cask versions sampled matched up to the keg version i have enjoyed previously.
 
My personal favourites were Amarillo, Pacific Gem and Simcoe, these three did offer me something that distinguished them from the rest, however, i would not call them earth shattering.
I will be honest here and admit i do not know which Hop(s) are used in the original version of High Wire.

Recalling the blackboard, Simcoe was racing away in the lead as voted for by our fellow punters, however, even this offering failed to lift the mood, it was, truth be told an interesting experiment but, not one I would recommend is not repeated unless the different varieties of hops used actually produce a contrast in the flavour profile of the beers.
 
I remain a fan of Magic Rock and look forward to visiting their tap room the weekend before Christmas with the Beer O’clock show and other assorted groupies.

I finished my evening off with another offering from Howling Hops, the Pale Ale Number 1, just what was needed.

It was a fun evening because as we all know beer people are good people.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment